Admitted students will enroll in the degree program for the final two years of their undergraduate studies at the University of Virginia.
To be eligible for admission, students must have accumulated 60 credits prior to their Batten School matriculation. Thus, in most instances, University of Virginia undergraduates will apply to the program during their second year. However, first year students who will have accumulated 60 credits prior to the start of their second year are also eligible to apply.
In addition to the 60-credit requirement, students have to complete two prerequisites courses prior to enrolling in the fall term:
- Econ 2010 (earning a C or higher)
- Psyc 2600 (earning a C or higher)
Application Deadline (5:00 pm EST): February 15, 2017
Decisions Released: March 24, 2017
Academic Program: March 27, 2017 (5-6:00pm)*
Deadline: March 28, 2017
* Academic Program is for newly admitted BA undergradate Class of 2019
Collected through the online application
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae. You will be prompted to upload this document in the application system. A word or .pdf document is fine.
- A personal essay of 500 words answering the questions: “Why do you want to study public policy and leadership? In other words, what motivates you to apply to this program?”
- Application Addendum (OPTIONAL). There is no penalty for not submitting an application addendum! However, some applicants may have additional information that would be useful for the admissions committee. Feel free to amplify the positive dimensions of your background that are not covered in other parts of this application. Similarly, you may wish to put some seemingly negative information in your application into context for the admissions committee. Please format this application addendum as a letter to the admissions committee, not to exceed one page.
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation. You are required to submit two letters of recommendation. Your recommenders must submit their letters of recommendation via this online application module. There will be more instructions regarding letters of recommendation within the application itself.
- Unofficial SAT or ACT scores must be reported via the online application.
- Finally, an unofficial copy of all college transcripts should be uploaded to your online application. Should you gain acceptance to the BA undergraduate major program, we will request an official transcript at that time.