April 7 – 9, 2017
University of Virginia
In 2007 Frank Batten, Sr., chairman and CEO of Landmark Communications, Inc., founder of The Weather Channel, dedicated $100 million for the creation of the Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy. Since the school opened its doors, it has grown tremendously. In those formative years, it had only 25 students, a handful of faculty members and only three administrators. Today, the school has more than 300 students, a staff of 20, a faculty of almost 60 scholars, five research centers, a beautiful building and a growing alumni base.
Join us as we celebrate the first 10 years and look to the future. The University of Virginia community, alumni, supporters, partner organizations, faculty, staff and students are all invited to this special weekend celebration.
Friday, April 7
4:00 to 7:00 p.m. - Welcome Reception, Garden IX, Garrett Hall
- After registering, join us for appetizers from BBQ Exchange, cocktails, corn hole, and a photo booth!
Saturday, April 8
9:00 to 11:00 a.m. - Working Breakfast, Garrett Hall
- Join faculty members for a casual breakfast, and then engage in a dialogue with Dean Allan Stam on the School’s priorities moving towards the next 10 years
11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - Leadership Simulation, Garrett Hall
- Speak with our Center for Leadership Simulation & Gaming team, and participate in a real-time game developed around Louisiana’s Coastal Resilience
2:00 to 4:00 p.m. - Alumni Career Building Panel, Newcomb Hall Ballroom
- Hear from some of Batten’s Best regarding their domestic and global experiences managing up, leveraging technology to shape decisions and strategically communicating to lead from anywhere. Following the panel, speakers will host small, interactive sessions to discuss tactics and share best practices
6:00 to 10:00 p.m. - 10th Anniversary Gala Celebration, Garrett Hall
- End the busy day catching up with everyone at the 10 Year Gala. Dinner and cocktails will be served throughout Garrett Hall, faculty members will present a series of “Ted Talks,” and we will announce the recipients of the prestigious Leadership Excellence Awards.
Sunday, April 9
9:30 to 11:00 a.m. - Tours of the newly renovated Rotunda
- Tours will depart from the Colonnade Club in three phases: 9:30AM, 10:00AM, and 10:30AM
11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. - Brunch, Colonnade Club
- Stop by on your way out of town to visit with everyone, including Dean Rockwell, and have brunch at the beautiful Colonnade Club.