Tuition & Financial Aid: Accelerated Master of Public Policy

Tuition and Fees

Students in the Accelerated MPP program continue to pay their school’s undergraduate tuition rate for the first year of the program (their fourth year at UVA). In the second year of the program, students pay full graduate tuition rates to the Batten School.

Tuition and Fees for the Accelerated MPP program for Academic Year 2019-2020:    

(Yr 4)  Please consult the University’s Student Financial Services page for a list of undergraduate tuition and fees for all schools

(Yr 5) In-State                        $28,938

(Yr 5) Out-of-State                $52,240

In addition to tuition and fees, students must also consider the cost of books and supplies, housing, and other living expenses. Please review the 2018-19 Estimated Cost of Attendance for undergraduate and graduate education for an academic year (nine months).

Funding Your Graduate Education

Graduate study is a major investment in your personal and professional future. At the Batten School, we are committed to working with each student to explore all funding options, with the goal of maximizing the amount of funding available.

Students typically cover the cost of their MPP through one or more of the following funding sources:


Fellowships are the primary means by which the Batten School provides financial aid to its graduate students. They are awarded on a per-semester basis in the form of indirect aid that is given on the student’s behalf to cover the cost of tuition and fees.  At Batten, we consider fellowships as unearned aid; therefore, no work or repayment is required to receive them. We offer several different types of fellowships:

  • Fellowships (need and merit) are awarded to accelerated graduate students in their second year of study (full-time graduate year), as long as the student remains in good academic standing.
  • Need-Based Fellowships – MPP students with demonstrated financial need may apply for a need-based fellowship in each semester of their second year of graduate study.  Applications for need-based fellowships are requested in May, following the assignment of the next fall’s graduate teaching assistantships.  Students are asked to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and UVA Financial Aid Application to be considered for a need-based fellowship.
  • Bocock-Hitz Public Service Fellowships – This Fellowship supports students who are interested in pursuing a career in public service. Three Accelerated MPP students in their second year of graduate study receive this award each year.
  • Royster-Lawton Fund – This Fund supports undergraduate and Accelerated/MPP students with demonstrated need and interest in social entrepreneurship. Two students receive this award each year.

Graduate Teaching Assistantships

In Year Two of the Accelerated MPP, students may serve as a graduate teaching assistant (GTA). Approximately 10-12 GTA positions become available each semester. Those selected to serve as GTAs receive tuition remission in the amount of in-state tuition for that semester, plus $6,000 in wages.  

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study (FWS) program provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet the cost of education. Eligibility is based on financial need and must be earned through student employment. Many job opportunities are available to eligible students on or off Grounds. To request to be considered for FWS, choose this option on the intent page of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Annual award amounts can be up to $5,000 for graduate students.

More information: 2018-2019 Federal Work-Study Student Handbook

Other Employment

Other part-time employment opportunities are also available for undergraduate and graduate students at the Batten School. The most common types of positions are:

  • Graduate Grader – Graders are responsible for grading student work and responding to student questions only. Hours per week varies based upon the course. Accelerated MPP students must be in their second year of study.
  • Graduate Tutor – Tutors are responsible for working with students 1:1 for assistance in quantitative coursework when it is determined that the student needs more help than provided as part of the standard curriculum. Hours per week varies based on the tutor’s availability. Accelerated MPP students must be in their second year of study.
  • Research Assistant – Batten faculty and research centers frequently hire students as research assistants. Hours per week vary based upon the assignment.  Jobs are posted on an as-needed basis.
  • Staff Assistant – Batten’s administrative units (e.g., Admissions, Communications) frequently hire students to work 10-20 hours per week.  Jobs are posted on an as-needed basis.

Students may also find employment within other parts of the University or in the local community. Per University policy, students may work no more than 20 hours per week in University jobs while school is in session.


Students with remaining financial need may take out student loans. You may apply by completing a FAFSA application. The University of Virginia’s school code is 003745.  Make sure to check out Common Application Errors to ensure your application for federal aid can be processed as quickly as possible.

When you apply for financial aid, you are automatically considered for Direct Loans. Graduate students who want to apply for a Direct Graduate PLUS loan will indicate on their University Financial Aid Application (UFAA). You will be prompted to complete the UFAA once you have completed the FAFSA.  

UVA participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Student Loan Program. This program offers low-interest loans to dependent and independent, undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in school at least half-time (minimum of six credit hours per semester) in a degree-seeking program. Student Financial Services certifies private loans that come from a private lending institution such as a bank or credit union. Entrance counseling is required for all first-time borrowers.

As you consider whether to accept part or all of the loans offered to you, please carefully consider the terms and repayment for each type of loan. The Federal Student Aid Repayment Estimator is an excellent resource.

For more information, please visit 2018-2019 Academic Year Loans for Graduates.

External Fellowships & Scholarships

Many Batten students receive external fellowships or scholarships. There are thousands of scholarships available to students pursuing the Accelerated MPP, so applicants are strongly encouraged to pursue these sources of additional funding. For a comprehensive list of graduate scholarships, please click here.

Military Benefits

Educational benefits are available for veterans, family members of veterans, and active duty military personnel. These programs have different benefit packages and eligibility requirements. The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides up to 36 months (4 regular school years) of education benefits to eligible service members (Active Duty, Guard, and Reserve) and Veterans who have served at least 90 days on active duty since 9/10/2001. Benefits are tiered based on number of days on active duty.  Benefits can be transferred to spouse or family member. To determine your eligibility and benefits package, please consult your Education Services Officer (ESO) and see Military Tuition Assistance, for active duty, or GI Bill, for veterans.  For additional questions, please contact the University’s Veterans’ Affairs Coordinator.