Tuition & Financial Aid: Master of Public Policy

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and Fees for the MPP for Academic Year 2019-2020 are:

In-State                       $28,938

Out-of-State               $52,240

In addition to tuition and fees, students must also consider the cost of books and supplies, housing, and other living expenses. Please click here to review the Estimated Graduate Cost of Attendance during an academic year (nine months).

Note: Students enrolled in one of our five dual-degree programs are required to pay Batten tuition and fees only in the semesters in which they are a student at the Batten School. In the remaining semesters of the dual-degree program, students are required to pay the other University school in which they are enrolled.

Funding Your Graduate Education

Graduate study is a major investment in your personal and professional future. At the Batten School, we are committed to working with each student to explore all funding options, with the goal of maximizing the amount of funding available.

Students typically cover the cost of their MPP through one or more of the following funding sources:


Fellowships are the primary means by which the Batten School provides financial aid to its students. They are awarded on a per-semester basis in the form of indirect aid that is given on the student’s behalf to cover the cost of tuition and fees. At Batten, we consider fellowships as unearned aid; therefore, no work or repayment is required to receive them. We offer two types of fellowships:

  • Merit-Based Fellowships – All students accepted into the MPP program are automatically considered for a merit-based fellowship. Awards are based on the materials submitted in the student’s application, so no additional information is required. This fellowship will be extended as part of the admission offer. Merit-based fellowships are typically offered for both years (four semesters) of graduate study, as long as the student remains in good academic standing
  • Need-Based Fellowships – MPP students with demonstrated financial need may apply for a need-based fellowship in their second year of graduate study. Applications for need-based fellowships are requested in the spring, following the assignment of the next semester’s graduate teaching assistantships. Students are asked to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and University of Virginia Financial Aid Application to be considered for a need-based fellowship.
  • Batten also awards three need-based Bocock-Hitz Public Service Fellowships each year to first-year MPP students interested in pursuing a career in public service.  These students receive the Bocock-Hitz Fellowship in their second year as well, as long as they remain in good academic standing

Graduate Teaching Assistantships

Second-year MPP students may serve as a graduate teaching assistant (GTA). Approximately 10-12 GTA positions become available each semester. Those selected to serve as GTAs receive tuition remission in the amount of in-state tuition for that semester, plus $6,000 in wages.  Please note that for out-of-state students selected as GTAs, in-state tuition remission will replace their original fellowship for that semester. However, if the fellowship is valued at more than the in-state tuition and fees, a departmental award will be applied in order to equal the value of the original fellowship.

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study (FWS) program provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet the cost of education. Eligibility is based on financial need and must be earned through student employment. Many job opportunities are available to eligible students on or off Grounds. To request to be considered for FWS, choose this option on the intent page of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Annual award amounts can be up to $5,000 for graduate students.

More information: 2018-2019 Federal Work-Study Student Handbook

Other Employment

Graduate students are also eligible to apply for other part-time employment opportunities at the Batten School. The most common types of positions are:

  • Graduate Grader – Graders are responsible for grading student work and responding to student questions only. Hours per week varies based upon the course. 
  • Graduate Tutor – Tutors are responsible for working with students 1:1 for assistance in quantitative coursework when it is determined that the student needs more help than provided as part of the standard curriculum. Hours per week varies based on the tutor’s availability. 
  • Research Assistant – Batten faculty and research centers frequently hire graduate students as research assistants. Hours per week vary based upon the assignment.  Jobs are posted on an as-needed basis.
  • Staff Assistant – Batten’s administrative units (e.g., Admissions, Communications) frequently hire graduate students to work 10-20 hours per week. Jobs are posted on an as-needed basis.

Students may also find employment within other parts of the University or in the local community. Per University policy, students may work no more than 20 hours per week in University jobs while school is in session.

External Fellowships & Scholarships

Many Batten students receive external fellowships or scholarships. The School partners with some of the world’s most prestigious programs, with special benefits to those selected for these awards. Recipients of the following scholarships receive an application fee waiver, and those admitted into the Batten School will receive a guaranteed minimum fellowship for both years of study, as specified below.

  • Truman Scholars – Truman Scholars receive a minimum fellowship of $20,000 per year for Virginia residents and $30,000 per year for non-Virginia residents.
  • Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship – Pickering Fellows who are Virginia residents receive a minimum fellowship to cover the difference between the Pickering tuition assistance and Batten in-state tuition. Non-Virginia residents will receive a match of the Pickering Fellowship’s tuition assistance ($21,500 per year).
  • Payne International Development Fellowship – Payne Fellows who are Virginia residents receive a minimum fellowship to cover the difference between the Payne tuition assistance and Batten in-state tuition. Non-Virginia residents will receive a match of the Payne Fellowship’s tuition assistance ($22,000 per year).
  • Rangel Graduate Fellowship – Rangel Fellows who are Virginia residents receive a minimum fellowship to cover the difference between the Rangel tuition assistance and Batten in-state tuition. Non-Virginia residents will receive a match of the Rangel Fellowship’s tuition assistance ($21,500 per year).

Recipients of these awards must provide proof of the award to earn the fee waiver and minimum fellowship. Applicants are also eligible for higher merit fellowships. Awards are renewed in the second year, as long as the student remains in good academic standing

There are thousands of scholarships available to graduate students, so applicants are strongly encouraged to pursue these sources of additional funding. For a comprehensive list of graduate scholarships, please click here.


Students with remaining financial need may take out student loans. You may apply by completing a FAFSA application. The University of Virginia’s school code is 003745.  Make sure to check out Common Application Errors to ensure your application for federal aid can be processed as quickly as possible.

When you apply for financial aid, you are automatically considered for Direct Loans. Graduate students who want to apply for a Direct Graduate PLUS loan will indicate on their University Financial Aid Application (UFAA). You will be prompted to complete the UFAA once you have completed the FAFSA.  

The University of Virginia participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Student Loan Program. This program offers low-interest loans to dependent and independent, undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in school at least half-time (minimum of six credit hours per semester) in a degree-seeking program. Student Financial Services certifies private loans that come from a private lending institution such as a bank or credit union. Entrance counseling is required for all first-time borrowers.

As you consider whether to accept part or all of the loans offered to you, please carefully consider the terms and repayment for each type of loan. The Federal Student Aid Repayment Estimator is an excellent resource.

For more information, please visit 2018-2019 Academic Year Loans for Graduates.

Military Benefits

Educational benefits are available for veterans, family members of veterans, and active duty military personnel. These programs have different benefit packages and eligibility requirements. The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides up to 36 months (4 regular school years) of education benefits to eligible service members (Active Duty, Guard, and Reserve) and Veterans who have served at least 90 days on active duty since 9/10/2001. Benefits are tiered based on number of days on active duty. Benefits can be transferred to spouse or family member. To determine your eligibility and benefits package, please consult your Education Services Officer (ESO) and see Military Tuition Assistance, for active duty, or GI Bill, for veterans. For additional questions, please contact the University’s Veterans’ Affairs Coordinator.